Thursday, October 08, 2009

Thursday 8th October 2009 - weather: clear blue sky

A flying, after school visit with number one son. Old Jack had kindly rotovated a large section on plot number 2, so son and I raked it to smooth it over, and then went about planting about 250 Japanese onion sets. I brought red and white so we planted them alternately. Should look pretty. We then planted 8 Webbs Wonder lettuce and 8 Iceburg lettuce. I might throw some fleece over them next visit, just to keep them a touch more cosy.

I picked a dozen or 2 ripe toms, and the same again that were just turning orange. I really think that is it, so on the next visit, when I hope (fingers crossed) to have more time, I will pick all the green ones and pull up the plants. I won't compost them as finally blight has moved in, so they will go on the rubbish heap.

Carrots, parsnips, beetroot and spring onions are still growing great guns, and we pulled a lovely thick bunch of large carrots. This rain should really give them a boost. The greens are also looking good, and there are a couple of caulis. Whether they will come to anything or not, we will have to wait and see - I try constantly to grow caulis, and am yet to grow a proper, decent sized, tight headed one. Fingers crossed this rain came at the right time.

No comments: