Sunday, January 09, 2011

Saturday 8th January 2011 - weather: dull and cold

We are in mourning. A tragedy has struck. My babies are all gone. The fox did what foxes do best, and he broke into my quailarium and killed at least one. All I hope is that the rest were able to fly away in the confusion. He broke through a piece of wood and broke a pane of glass so the whole was very big. Heartbroken just about sums it up at the moment. Funny thing is, I watched the big ole dog fox outside out house, howling and barking at the moon...probably just after he had filled his belly on my girls. Today, Sunday, husband and I cleaned out the quailarium and now it looks very empty and very sad. Up until that point, I said no more, but whilst I was working away, getting covered in quail poop and trying not to cry, I decided not to be beaten. I love my birdies so we shall begin again, reinforcing the aviary and attempting to make it predator proof. Am I cross at Ferdinand, no, it is the circle of life, and I put up with the deer munching my greens on the allotment and the birds eating my berries, and at the end of the day, foxy needs feeding also. I am just sad. The boys had started to crow and chatter and I really felt spring was in the air. I shall dwell no more, British Bulldog spirit, we will not be beaten.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so sorry, you poor thing. I love your attitude to it though. Ever since we started with poultry I've been worried that I would end up hating foxes; it must have been a long cold winter for them.
I am now down to only seven out of thirteen birds and thinking of changing to a couple of hens for next winter but we'll see.
Chin up and all that. xxx