Friday, August 28, 2009





Thursday 27th August 2009 - weather: warm but breezy


As is the way with the children off school, today was a flying visit to the allotment to pick tomatoes and to check if they had succumbed to blight. Well, I am very proud to say, no blight and lots and lots of toms! We picked Roma, Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, Santa, Gardeners Delight, Great White, Striped Stuffer, Beefsteak and load of red 'regular' toms, whose name had rubbed off the labels!












The Cherokee Purple and the Great White weighed in between 8 and 10 ounces each with is excellent. Fingers crossed the blight continues to stay away as there are hundreds and hundreds of toms still to ripen.

2 comments:

Jo said...

There's some interesting varieties there. I'm going to have a go at growing some heirloom varieties next year.
Well done on keeping the blight at bay. There's lots of gardener's who have succumbed this year. I grow my tomatoes in the greenhouse so I don't have to worry so much.

Emma Jane said...

I'm afraid good husbandry and spraying helped with the blight. I don't like using sprays, but after a complete wash out with toms for the last couple of years, I wasn't going to be caught out again.