Friday, February 17, 2006

Friday 17th February 2006 - Weather: damp and dreary, then bright and breezy, then cold!

Had a request for my spicy pumpkin chutters so thought I would post the recipe. I had some today in a ham sandwich and it hit the spot!

4 cups cooked pumpkin flesh
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (I only had white, so used white!)
1 1/4 cups malt vinegar
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup raisins (I didn't have any, so chopped an apple and used instead)
3 chilli peppers, chopped (I used more as I had lots of fresh just picked and we like it hot!)
2 tablespoons grated garlic
2 tablespoons grated ginger (I didn't have any fresh, so used a teaspoon of dried)
1 teaspoon salt

Place everything in a large pan and slowely bring to the boil. Turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and reduce until as thick as you like it. Remember, it will thicken slightly when cold. After about 30 minutes, or when as thick as you like it, bottle it in warmed, sterile jars, and label when cold.

A note, whilst I remember. Popped to the lcoal nursrey yesterday with the kids and came away with an orchid plant for 2 pounds, with a new bud coming, some blue epicure spuds - these have incredibly dark blue skins, and the kids chose a selection of seeds for themselves. Daughter number one is giving mini corns a go, along with peas, and son number one is growing a huge array of sunflowers!

The broadbeans, 'Red Epicure', are now 5 inches tall so have been moved out into the greenhouse to slow them down and get them ready for going up to the allotment in the next 2 weeks. They will have fleece or cloche protection to start with up there. The peas are all up and growing quite strongly now in their paper pots, so they will get up to the greenhouse over the weekend. I am hoping to start some beetroots off in cell trays over the weekend. My swiss chards are starting to come up, but no spring onions yet! Strange as they were brand new seed. Still, plenty of time if they fail.

No comments: