Thursday, March 02, 2006

Thursday 2nd March 2006 - Weather: Snow flurries, hard frost, -1

What a cold week! Yesterday I visited one of the gardens I go to with the intention of digging the veggie patch but the ground was frozen solid, and even with the sun on it, it was still rock hard when I left. Instead I cleared and weeded along the long conifer border as the conifers had provided enough protection for the ground to still be soft. I then weeded and swept the patios and steps. A good, hard mornings work.

I am feeling harrassed at the moment after decorating number one sons room at the weekend. I don't seem to be able to get a handle on the house and it seems to be a constant tip, but today, finally I made some headway and the house is now looking straight again. The conservatory is looking great at the moment. A couple of weeks ago I picked up 4 Hyacinth bulbs from the garden centre round the corner for just 5 pence. Well, just look at them now! The scent is amazing and I know they probably aren't as tall as they should be, but for 5pence!
Here is another beauty, my Bird of Paradise. I have had this baby since I was a child, and for the last three years it has rewarded my nearly 20 years of patience with flowers. I adore it! And another conservatory triumph for me was when late last summer, my huge monster banana palm rewarded yet more patience by producing a hand of fruit! Unfortunately the summer was coming to an end, so temperatures fell and daylight hours became less and less so only a few of the fruits developed and ripened, however, as you can see, they did, and I had the great pleasure in eating a home grown, fresh and naturally ripe banana!

Of course, this is an allotment Blog, and as yet, thanks to the weather, there hasn't been much in the way of allotment chat. Well, I popped to the plot during the afternoon to see how things were doing, and I am pleased to say that it is all looking very straight and organised. Still loads and loads of crops there, and everything is growing still, even through the snow! So, home I came with a pot full of brussel sprouts - green Brilliant and purple Red Bull, and a handfull of purple sprouting brocolli. Really am hoping to spend all day up there next Tuesday and get in my 2 batches of broad beans and 2 batches of peas.



No comments: